Saturday, July 20, 2013

Oklahoma Quilts finished and sent

I have been away from home and my computer for a couple of weeks.  When I returned last week, Southwestern Wisconsin was under heat advisories for much of the week. 

While I was away, I was able to present my Dad with his quilt: Bowtie Hugs & Kisses.  He was thrilled with the letter, telling me he was saving it in his treasure box.  I also finished up the two quilts I was working on for Oklahoma.


Bright Days and Smiles

 
Bricks of Love
Bricks of Love Label

Each of these quilts included notes to the recipients telling them why I made the quilts, and closed with the following words:  "As the pieces were being stitched together, I prayed for peace and comfort for you and your loved ones.  Please find comfort in its folds and know that you are loved."

The process was somewhat cathartic for me.  I've always wanted to help people and didn't know what to do or where to start.  I was put into contact with Janice Grimes of Quilts of Compassion, who told me of her ministry to people affected by the Tornadoes of Joplin Missouri and Moore Oklahoma and surrounding areas.  These two quilts were shipped out on July 15, 2013.

I will continue to make quilts for others because it feeds my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment