Sunday, June 16, 2013

Does it need a name?

I guess there are two schools of thought about naming a quilt.  One is that you give it a name, and the other is that you don't. 

I adapted this quilt from a picture I saw on Christa Quilts.  She called her pattern the Jolly Jelly Roll Quilt.  Since I didn't use Jelly Rolls but 5" charms, I don't want to call it a Jelly Roll quilt - right?  Usually when I create a qulit, it is for a specific person, for a specific event or milestone.  This one was created specifically as a way to give love and comfort to someone who was affected by the tornados in Oklahoma after reading a blog post over at Quiltville.
I dove right in to my 5" charms and starting sewing them together.  I sorted out the brights from the more sedate colors and came up with this cherry little quilt.  My hope is to bring a smile and some comfort to a child.


 
I quilted it fairly densely in an all over loopy pattern with spirals in the first border and attached a bright binding. 
So I'm back to my original question:  Does it need a name?  What would you call it?



5 comments:

  1. It is lovely. Cheery and comforting. Why don't you name it after the recipient? I.E. - for a boy name Bill - "Billy's Quilt".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I don't know who will get the quilt. The donations are being distributed by a local quilt shop.

      Delete
  2. How about "A Brighter Day" or "Bright Hopes". I am of the school that each quilt you make is a work of art and deserves a name. It is a wonderful quilt and whom ever gets it will be pleased and grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw your picture, it made me smile. You want the child who gets this guilt to smile, what do you think about 'Keep smiling'?
    It is a beautiful quilt. I love colors, I love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you could just name it Love.

    ReplyDelete