Monday, August 19, 2013

Why do I quilt

First let's explore what is a quilt... In technical terms a quilt is 3 layers of textiles joined together by stitching.  A woven top and bottom layer with a layer of additional material like batting for warmth and loft.  In simplistic terms it is a blanket or bed covering.
To me a quilt is much more. 
A quilt is:
  • A warm hug when the world is cold
  • Comfort for one in need
  • A place to rest your body when you are weary
  • A fort for children at play
  • A place to have an impromptu picnic
  • A colorful addition to a room
  • Memories of loved-ones long past
  • A piece of art to adorn the world
  • A work of heart pieced with love and prayers for one who I may never know or know very well
  • A labor of love 
  • The smile on the face of a loved one.
Dad and Me with his Quilt
Picture by Mom - used with permission


So why do I quilt?  To feed my creativity, and to share my love.  I quilt to wrap someone in love and comfort, to bring a smile to their faces.  I quilt to thank our service members, to let them know I appreciate the freedoms their service provides.  I quilt for the love of creating something beautiful and meaningful from a pile of fabric.  I quilt because I must.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Hello Kathy C.,

    Thank you for sharing this with the world in general and at Missouri Quilt Forum in particular. I am a better person for having read this.

    I too blog, not exclusively about quilting, but about the transformation of my wardrobe from modern to "a more gentler time", LOL. Won't you visit when you get a chance? My addy is http://www.sewandcro.com

    Cheers,

    Lyric

    P.S. Please consider "liking" my FB page: http://www.facebook.com/sewandcro

    ReplyDelete