Saturday, May 25, 2013

Practice, Patience and Progress

But not perfection...  


I finished up the final quadrant on my Dad's Bowtie Hugs and Kisses last night. 


It's supposed to be a lap (I call them nap size) quilt, but turned into a monster size 58" x 72".  It is by far the largest quilt I've attempted to free motion quilt.   It was a bit tricky making sure I didn't catch the 3D centers of the Bowties when quilting, but I managed to keep away most of the time.  Only a few times I caught my darning foot in the fold and had to take the machine apart to get it free.

It wasn't until I was about half way through the first border that I realized I forgot to change the top thread back to the variegated thread I had used through the first three quadrants of the quilt.  Oops.  I'm sure no one will notice. 

This morning I finished the inner red border and started on the checkerboard.  It's coming along nicely.

I'm stuck for what to do with the two blue borders, so I'm going to link up to Leah Day's Free Motion Quilting Project to see if I can get an idea or two.  I love Leah's blog!  It has helped me learn so many things, and given me the confidence to quilt my own quilts rather than send them off to a long-arm quilter to do for me.  Thank you Leah!

I think I'm going to take some more of her advice and "GO QUILT".

2 comments:

  1. What a great quilt to nap under. I've learned so much from Leah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colours you've used

    ReplyDelete